Why Your “YES” Vote is Crucial – Nov. 7th – MUA Sale
Attention all private well/septic owners, existing SUEZ customers & MUA users:
You will benefit by voting ‘YES’ to an important municipal question on the ballot requiring voter approval – the MUA sale. The MUA (which provides water & sewer services to about 1,700 WM homes) is facing imminent bankruptcy & is no longer able to continue its operations, so the sale is imperative at this time.
ALL residents will benefit from the sale of the MUA to SUEZ, which will:
- avoid MUA bankruptcy & associated catastrophic taxpayer burdens;
- avoid $8 million of additional taxpayer debt & fines;
- avoid a township takeover of the MUA systems & related ongoing operating costs;
- increase annual township revenues by adding “ratables” to our tax base (all MUA properties would be transferred to SUEZ, a taxable entity);
- offset about $4 million of existing municipal debt using surplus sale proceeds;
- reduce annual taxpayer interest costs;
- protect the environment, especially our lakes & streams, due to stricter environmental regulatory compliance.
MUA customers will specifically benefit from SUEZ with:
- guaranteed infrastructure improvements ($30 million within 5 years & an additional $40 million over the next 15 years);
- safe, reliable drinking water;
- sewer system functionality & compliance;
- rate stabilization;
- 24/7 customer service & enhanced customer satisfaction;
- technical & managerial expertise from leading industry professionals;
- economies of scale, with nearly 1 million SUEZ customers in northern NJ (7.3 million in North America).
This sale is truly the only solution to the product delivery issues, customer service deficiencies, economic burdens & environmental plights of the MUA throughout its 53-year history. There are zero downsides to our community & its residents. Whether you’re an MUA user, existing SUEZ customer, or have a private well/septic, you’ll benefit from the MUA sale. Please vote ‘YES’ on Nov. 7th for the MUA sale.
also serves as Mayor of West Milford